Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Real Meaning of "BA": Book-Buyers Anonymous

Currently Reading: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley


First of all, I’ve finished Slaughterhouse Five, but I feel like I need to let it simmer a little longer before I make an attempt at a post. Largely because I’m debating whether or not I should re-read the whole book since I finished it and basically thought, “WTF????” Seriously, I think I must have missed something because currently, I really don’t understand why this book is such a big deal… Right now it reads like a less-well-done version of Catch-22 with a way sadder point so I’m actually hoping I missed something. Otherwise, I feel I may have to betray the English major and traitorously state that I just didn’t like Slaughterhouse Five.

P.S. Essentially reading two Vonnegut books back to back is a lot of depressing, deep, plot-less book to take. Unless that’s your jam, I wouldn’t recommend it.

So to give myself more time to contemplate the twisted, confusing world of Slaughterhouse Five, I decided that instead I’d share a confession with you.

Confession: Two days ago, I purchased $90 worth of books at Barnes and Noble. And then proceeded to carry the bag around with me while I hung out in Baltimore with my best friend for four hours.

The worst part of that? That purchase total is with a discount… I really may need to seek out help…

It was supposed to be a quick and small shopping trip! I simply needed a new copy of Brave New World since our copy was literally falling apart in my hands as I read it. Side note: cool as it may be to have a book that’s last copyright was in 1955, the cool factor drops significantly when the pages begin to fall out.

So I was just going to buy a replacement book. And perhaps a new copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy since ours was accidentally donated during a hectic house-cleaning session. Two books. Very reasonable.

But then I got in the store.

I don’t know what it is about bookstores that I love so much, but they’re pretty much wonderful. They definitely get me acting like a kid in a candy store and, believe me, I know the full weight of that expression having actually worked in a candy store and seen first hand what that means. Fortunately, the metaphor ends for me before I get to the running around and screaming about everything part.

Usually, I have pretty good self-restraint. I can tell myself all the very logical reasons not to buy a book – including the stack of books in my “to-read” pile that keeps getting larger and the stack of money in my bank account that keeps getting smaller. However, two days ago, I had no hope. I knew I was going to make a purchase anyways so I didn’t need to bother with restraint.

OOOooohhh! I don’t have this book! That one looks good! Oh and that one’s on my blog reading list! Oooohhhh! That one’s only $8!!! And that one will be totally helpful in planning that trip to Italy I will hypothetically take! And haven’t I always wanted to know more about zoology? I should just buy this book on that too! I will totally read that!

And as I stood there, suddenly with seven books in my hands instead of the two I set out to buy, I couldn’t bring myself to put a single one back.

But… but… but… How do I choose which to buy and which to leave???

Everyone has his or her shopping weakness. For most girls its clothes, jewelry or make-up while for men, I believe it’s mostly electronics of some kind. For me, evidently, it’s books.

The weirdest part of this vice, in my opinion, is that it’s almost an infinitely dumber buy than clothes or jewelry, etc. After all, you try clothes on in the store before you purchase them. Books? You have to guess whether or not you’re going to like it before you leave with it. It’s a much riskier purchase. Plus, most people only read a book once. What kind of long-term use are you going to get out of a book? Not to mention that whole fabulous library system where you can read a book without having to buy it or the even easier option of simply borrowing a book from a friend.

Um, could I possibly choose a more impractical way to spend my money? I thought getting a college degree made you smart... when does that kick in?

The thing is, though, I still really enjoy buying books, even if it is stupid to do so. I know it may sound silly, but when I find a book that has really touched me or changed my life in some way, I love that I can take it with me wherever I go or that it can sit on my bookshelf, holding memories in it like a beloved stuffed animal or a framed photograph.

My bank account certainly won’t thank me, but I have no plans to give up this addiction.

… Although I may have to rethink the job application I picked up for Barnes and Noble…

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely the same way! I just seem to absorb books and I can never get rid of any. There's something so delicious about the smell of a bookstore... Good thing I'm planning on building a Beauty & the Beast sized library in my future home/castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you about the smell of bookstores! Especially used bookstores where there are books literally piled on top of each other. They are wonderful :) Also, can I move into your future home/castle and just live in the Beauty & the Beast library? By the way, that library actually exists. It's the Reading Room at the British Museum. It's AMAZING!!!

      Delete